Madison McSweeney is an author, poet, and arts & culture writer from Ottawa, Ontario.
I frequently write about my three favourite subjects: music, genre fiction, and the incredible Canadian arts scene. As a live music geek, I also love to check out and review local shows.
My non-fiction has been published in The Fulcrum, Bravewords, Hellbound, Music Vice, Horror Tree, and C2C Journal. My next piece, a review of Alice Cooper’s autobiography is set to appear as part of Ginger Nuts of Horror‘s Alice in Summerland series.
I’ve published short fiction in Rhythm & Bones Lit, Deadman’s Tome, Women in Horror Annual Vol. 2, Unnerving Magazine, Dark Horizons: An Anthology of Dark Science Fiction, and The Fulcrum. My flash fiction has also appeared online at Horror Tree and 365 Tomorrows.
More of my short stories are set to appear in Weirdpunk Books’s Zombie Punks F*ck Off anthology, due for release later this year, and upcoming issues of Polar Borealis and Lonesome October Lit.
Drawing from classic horror and science fiction, my fiction explores the spaces where reality and nightmare intersect, hinting at a larger and stranger world just beyond our comprehension.
My poetry is eclectic, combining vivid imagery, pop culture references, and personal musings. To date, I’ve published poems in Ottawa-based publications The Fulcrum and Bywords. In the near future, my poem “In Defense of Horror” will appear at Lonesome October Lit, and “Sinkhole City” will be featured in Cockroach Conservatory, Vol. 1: A Working Zealot’s Guide to Gaining Capital in Pre-Apocalyptic America.
- The Fulcrum: Fiction Issue – “Daydream Noir” (2015)
- Dark Horizons: An Anthology of Dark Science Fiction – “We Have Rules Here” (2016)
- Horror Tree: Trembling With Fear – “Oddworth’s Silent Partner” (2017)
- 365 Tomorrows – “Leader” (2017)
- Unnerving Magazine: Extended Halloween Edition – “The Luddid House” (2017)
- Women in Horror Annual, Vol. 2 – “Behind the Music” (2017)
- Deadman’s Tome: The Conspiracy Issue – “The Evolution of a Conspiracy Theorist” (2018)
- 365 Tomorrows – “Crop Circles” (2018)
- Rhythm & Bones Lit – “The Beast and the Hummingbirds” (2018)
- Polar Borealis – “Dinosaur Bones” (upcoming)
- Lonesome October Lit – “Ghost Towns” and “Don’t Scare Her” (upcoming)
- Zombie Punks F*ck Off – “Remade” (upcoming)
- The Fulcrum – “Punk Poem” (2017)
- Bywords.ca – “On Birds” (2018)
- Cockroach Conservatory Vol. 1 – “Sinkhole City” (upcoming)
- Lonesome October Lit – “In Defense of Horror” (upcoming)
In April 2017, I graduated from the University of Ottawa with a Bachelor’s in Political Science and Communications. I have multiple years experience in research, communications, media, and promotions; I am available for freelance writing and promotional projects upon request. You can get in touch here!